It’s the height of cold season—ugh! Nothing is less exciting than waking up discovering that you’ve got a scratch throat, stuffed up nose, sneezing—it’s such a drag.
Most of the time, we only think about what to do once we GET a cold. We’d like to offer some tips we’ve found online about how to avoid catching a cold period! (Wouldn’t that be much better for you and everyone around you??)
- Tip #1—Wash your hands often. We’re not talking about being a germaphobe and getting tempted to practically glug a bottle of hand sanitizer. Simply be mindful about washing your hands a few extra times every day, especially after handling things other folks in public handle as well (door handles, shopping carts, after you fill your car with gas, attending church or other public events, etc.).
- Tip #2—Eat more vegetables containing phytochemicals. Better for your body than just downing extra vitamins. Dark green, red & yellow fruits and vegetables are rich in phytochemicals help supercharge the vitamins already in your food. They’ll help your body more naturally guard against infection and colds.
- Tip #3—Relax! Stress suppresses your immune system and prevents it from defending you against germs and disease. Guess what’s a terrific way to relax? Soaking in a Jacuzzi Hot Tub! Taking a nightly soak helps you center yourself, release the stress of the day, and also helps promote a more restful night’s sleep. Using a hot tub will also promote healthy interleukin production, which helps your body ward off disease.
- Tip #4—Don’t smoke. Smoking can significantly zap your immune system. Cilia—the very fine hairs that line the mucous membranes in your lungs and nose help expel cold and flu viruses through your nasal passages. Smoking dries out your nose, and some experts believe that smoking paralyze cilia for as long as 30-40 minutes!
- Tip #5—Take a sauna! Elevate your body’s core temperature and create a “false fever” by sweating in an infrared or traditional steam sauna. This in turn boosts your body’s natural defenses to guard against cold and flu viruses. It’s excellent for your immune system! (This is also excellent if you start to feel a cold or flu coming on—you’ll might ward off sickness, or shorten the life cycle of your illness.)